TeleSign’s Score API is like a credit check for phone numbers. When you submit a phone number to the Score API, the phone number is evaluated and a score is returned telling you how risky that user is. Along with the score output, you can also get a list of insights reason codes, which provides more granular and contextual intelligence on the phone number itself.
Using a global fraud consortium, Score leverages two global databases to help detect and identify known fraud faster.
- TeleBureau™ : TeleSign’s database of customer-contributed phone number reputation information.
- Global Telco Fraud Data : A crowdsourced telco incidents database of suspicious network activity.
Phone Number Attributes
Score also evalutes phone number data attributes including phone type, telecom carrier, account ID, device ID, and IP address to identify potential fraud risk.
In addition to looking at the number, TeleSign includes evaluation of anomalous traffic behavior patterns and usage velocity, as these may raise red flags. For example, if passcode requests are received in five different languages from the same number in the same week, or a range of numbers are seen repeatedly on one or more web services, it may be a sign that a phone is being shared, and the risk score will increase accordingly.
Adapting to Your Needs
Score’s machine learning model can also evaluate unique customer-provided data inputs such as user IP address, email address, account ID, and device ID with each API request to further increase the effectiveness of risk assessments, specific to the customer’s environment.
By combining all these intelligence sources, Score can help you prevent attacks such as International Revenue Share Fraud (IRSF) and other types of scams. If you choose to use Score’s custom features, you can tailor it to look for scams that specifically affect your business and traffic.
- Get Started - Learn how to use the Score API to obtain a reputation score and other related details, and how to interpret that score.
- Insights Reason Code Mappings - Look up the meaning of reason codes returned for Score 2.0 requests.
- Submit a Fraud Event to TeleBureau - Submit your own fraud data to TeleBureau. This data is shared, and by submitting you help prevent fraud for everyone that participates.